Wimbledon Inspired Recipes!
With the Wimbledon court in full swing, we have been getting creative in the kitchen to whip up some delicious treats to enjoy whilst watching the action unfold! Tomoko and Jill, our Health Improvement Lifestyle Officers, have shared recipes for frozen strawberry yogurt, scones and a strawberry and lime mocktail!
Frozen Strawberry Yoghurt (6 servings)
As you may know Wimbledon is not only famous for their tennis, but also for strawberries and cream! Tomoko was lucky enough to attend Wimbledon this year and it inspired her to dig out an old Japanese recipe, for a wonderfully refreshing frozen strawberry yogurt. It is super easy to make and is a healthier alternative to ice cream for you to enjoy in sun watching the tennis! It is also free from artificial colourings and additives and super yummy, so remember it serves 6!
- 500g of plain natural yoghurt
- 200ml of double cream
- 60g of granulated sugar (adjust according to taste)
- 1 pack strawberries (adjust according to)
- Whisk the double cream and sugar in a ball. Add the yogurt and strawberries and mix them together.
- Transfer the mixture into a freezer-safe container. When it is half frozen, mix it with a spoon and squash the strawberries.
- Put the mixture back in the freezer until frozen. Simple!
Scones with a Strawberry & Lime Mocktail
Whether you put jam or cream first on your scones, we can all agree they are a delicious treat! If you are sat out in the garden enjoying the sun or spending time with friends and family watching Wimbledon, these recipes for scones with a refreshing strawberry and lime mocktail are sure to go down well.
Scones (from The Great British Bake Off website)
- 250g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1 medium egg
- 100ml buttermilk, plus extra if needed (or use 2 tbsp natural yoghurt made up to 100ml with milk)
- Pre-heat the oven to fan 200/220 degrees.
- Sift the flour, sugar & salt into a mixing bowl and add the butter. Using the tips of your fingers, rub in together (like making a crumble) until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Make sure there’s no lumps of butter left.
- Mix the egg and the buttermilk together and add to the bowl. Using a knife, mix together until it makes a soft dough.
- Lightly flour your work surface and fingertips and bring the dough together for a couple of seconds. Roll out to about 3 cm thick.
- With a floured cutter, cut out as many scones as you can using all your dough.
- Place the scones on lined baking sheet and cook for about 12 minutes in a preheated oven.
- When golden brown, take out of the oven & place onto a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Strawberry and Lime Mocktail
- 12-14 strawberries (stems removed)
- 8 large mint leaves
- 600ml lemonade
- 190ml fresh lime juice
- Extra mint leaves and lime wedges for garnish
- Put the strawberries and mint leaves into a large jug. With the back of a wooden spoon, squish them together to extract all the juices until mashed to a pulp.
- Add the lime juice and lemonade with lots of ice and garnish.
- Top tip! Add frozen strawberries with the ice. Enjoy!
Keep up to date with all our services and the latest news about health and wellbeing by following us on Facebook and Twitter!